Erie Insurance and my roof that has hail damage

Apr 18, 2010
review #178905

Erie insurance does not want to pay for my hail damage to my roof even though I have had 4 other companies tell me that I had hail damage.

Erie Insurance paid to have an engineering company of their choice come out to check out my roof and when they came out the engineering company called Donan Engineering told me that I did not have hail damage and they took pictures that were so far away that of course in the pictures it does not look like hail damage but if you see the roof in person and take pictures up close you can easily see the damage caused by hail.

I also checked with the weather center and I can also prove when the hail damage happened.

I no longer have my insurance with Erie Insurance and I do not recommend them to anyone unless of course you want to go through what I went through. I was hung up up on twice by the Charlotte manager Michelle S.

not only once but twice and I was also hung up on by the engineering company Donian Engineering. Once by the South East Manager and once by the gal in the office.

I also have written complaint with the Better Business Bureau of Charlotte and Donian Engineering has chosen not to even respond to them.

Go figure? I guess they do not care about their reputation.

Why could I not use a roofing company of my choice or a inspector of my choice? Because Erie Insurance does not want to pay their claims is why.

You see an insurance company is only as good as if they pay their claims and if I pay my premiums then I expect the insurance company to pay if I have problems. Not only have I turned the insurance company over to the BBB but I have also turned them over the the North Carolina Insurance Commission. The report that I did up on this claim that I sent to the North Carolina Insurance Commission was 126 pages long with detailed pictures and reports from other companies.

This is my first home owners claim ever and I expect to be treated with respect as well as have my claim paid for because I got hail damage.

David Snell

9717da5
Had an experience with Erie Insurance?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
unhappy

Feb 12 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

I had my house insulation the company that did the work had to take the outside vinyle sidding off the house drill holes and spray the foam insulation in when the sidding was put back up it was done incorrectly ( also had holes cracks and in the heat it bowed ) Now my home owners is Erie and the Company that did the work was also insured with Erie so Erie came out to the house told me they had my back they also brought out a contractor who wrote a paper that said the person who last touch my sidding did the damage and at the time they were at my house I was told the contractor was the best he can tell what happen so I then get my letter from Erie saying I was denied telling me the contractor said it was the fault of the originil installer from 10 years ago After I laugh and said why does the contractors paper say the person who last touch it ! I then was told the contractor was no good thinking because he wasn't or didn't say what they wanted ( Keep in mind their Contractor ) Now they wanted to bring out a Engineer so a Engingeer could tell why my sidding was cracked and had holes in it and bow I told Erie I dont think you need to be a rocket scientist to figure out I had no damage they touched I have damage where is the Mystery
Very Very unhappy with Erie

Jul 25, 2013 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

I can reflect the same situation with both Erie and Donan or what ever their name is. As a matter of fact we just had another hail storm in April, filed the claim (this is after 2 other hail storms and 2 other denied claims). I had video (adjuster not interested), pictures (adjustor not interested) but what she was very clear about was That Erie has a policy NOT to replace roofs, only slopes. She was also clear that Erie DOES NOT allow anything for matching shingles in their half baked "repairs" so you end up with a hillbilly house of mismatched garbage on your roof. DO NO BUY ERIE INSURANCE!!! We should get a class action suit against them.

Feb 26, 2013 Cloverdale, Indiana

Also, avoid Allstate, Nationwide (depends on state), Grinell Mutual, and some local mutual insurance carriers. Mutual insurance carriers that are area specific have a lot of liability when it comes to paying out lots of claims because they don't have deep pockets. Generally, AAA, USAA, State Farm (sometimes), Erie, Shelter, any Farm Bureau (highly recommend Farm Bureau) are good carriers. It is my experience that these companies will pay for whatever is physically damaged by the storm.

Feb 26, 2013 Cloverdale, Indiana

As a restoration project manager, I can tell you that good contractor's will get on your roof and show you pictures of damaged areas and explain what caused them (hail, foot traffic, etc.) Donan Engineering is not there to approve a claim. They pay these guys 800 to 2200 dollars to go out to your house and deny claims. They denied a hail claim I was working in an area that had been obliterated by hail (baseball size plus), and the home in question showed severe roof and collateral damage (i.e. broken windows, hole through things there shouldn't be holes through). Donan came out and denied this claim. Everytime you see a Donan truck at your house for an insurance inspection, immediately call your agent and request that your claim go to arbitration. That is where a third party (usually another engineering firm or more preferably a licensed property adjuster) will meet with the insurance rep. to come to an agreement in regards to the damage. This is the best remedy to prevent from being screwed. Also, an experience restoration contractor usually has an RPA or insurance "guru" on staff that can find other ways around their decisions by language in your policy regarding "direct physical damage".

hollins1

Dec 06, 2012 Dallas, Texas

I have only a few comment's to make.(1)I have ALLSTATE INSURANCE on my home right.And i can say i have never had a problem with ALLSTATE paying any claim that i submitted on my home.(2)We had a hail storm back in JUNE i believe and Althought my VEHICLE'S had hail damage,My home did not have any damage to it.ALLSTATE came out and INSPECTED my roof for hail damage and Their was none.So please don't speak on ALLSTATE INSURANCE because they are a great insurance company as far as i am concern.Now my sister-in-law had NATIONWIDE INSURANCE on her home and to this day they have not paid her claim for hail damage.I have also had some lady telephone me and Inform me that their company was out riding around inspecting roof's for hail damage,Now i did not request this company whom ever it might be to inspect my home and I doubt if it is possible to inspect a home from the street.So i asked the lady how did someone inspect my roof without getting my permission and Without going on top of my home.This lady could not say anything but i don't know,I was just doing what i was told to do and That is to telephone you.Then she hung up very fast.WTF.Their are so many people out their that sceem .Now if ALLSTATE INSURANCE came to my home to inspect my roof and Found it to be not damage.How is someone i do not even know out of the blue telephone me and State i have damage to my roof.SOUND'S LIKE BS TO ME.

Dec 06, 2012 Indianapolis, Indiana

Why could I not use a roofing company of my choice or a inspector of my choice?

Roofing companies have an inherent conflict of interest in that they only make a profit if they find a reason to replace the roof. That's why insurance companies hire experts rather than taking the contractor's recommendation. However, you could have hired an inspector at your own expense and invoked the appraisal clause of your policy.

Feb 26, 2013 Cloverdale, Indiana

Some insurance companies hire roofers for their inspections. I know, I do them all the time (for a local company in Indianapolis no less - Amos Exteriors). But you are correct, because of the weak storm season, most roofers just hop up there and tell you that you damage and to call your insurance and pray they get a lazy adjuster out to look at your house. This is not how our company does business because it is just a waste of time for me, you, and your insurance company. Also, I can assure you that rarely do you get professional adjusters. You can take a course in Indiana for 320 bucks and become a licensed adjuster in a week. That very well could be the "professional" your insurance carrier hires to come out and evaluate your claim.

Tom

Jul 13, 2012

Donan is the worst, whenever you hear their name call the police or attorney general. They teach fraud over there.

Donan sucks

Jul 13, 2012

you are right, they suck!

Charlotte roofer

Jun 01, 2012

First of all to the person on here saying that roofers are just trying to "make a sale," how would roofers make a sale if the Roof doesn't have damage? We know these adjusters and what they're looking for better than anybody! Unless you're an *** ( which I know a lot of roofers are) there would be no point in filing a claim and wasting time and gas on something you know is going to get denied. Of course sometimes it's damaged but not enough damage to call for a replacement vs a repair. But there's only one way to find out. And premiums can't be raised on a individual only on a region when it comes to storm damage. So for all the ignorant people out there, enjoy paying higher premiums regardless and also paying for a roof out of pocket one day. And for erie insurance, they suck! And if you're thinking about changing to allstate, theyre even worse! If you don't believe it google top ten worst insurance companies in America. Guess who's number 1 ALLSTATE! You arent in good hands. It's BS! They spend all their money on marketing and targeting 4 different races in all their commercials. AAA engineers are a bunch of bs engineers that couldn't get a real job using their degree! Erie Charlotte is horrible but Erie as a company isnt to bad. Unfortunately for us Charlotte natives they don't like buying roofs. If you want a good insurance company
Take my word I've been doing this for 5 years: nationwide, travelers, kemper. You get what you pay for. And they actually
... Show more

Aaron

May 27, 2012

:( Erie insurance pulled this same *** with me on 2 different occasions! One with a house on the laurel ridge where it snows and ices much more than the surrounding lower lying areas! Donan engineering dumasses came out months after the ice dam had melted and tried to tell me/Erie there was nothing wrong with my shingles even though the Erie adjuster stood in my home watching water drip into buckets!

Fast forward 18 months, and I buy a second home and insure it with Erie and have an unfortunate ice dam event at that home and leake water in several places down into a brand new $20,000 kitchen and a $10,000 family room great room renovation and do thousands in damage. Erie paid Dumass Donan Engineering to do another report that said the roof was "not wind damaged" and "not claim related" I had to fight with Erie over this claim and then, I got a 2 claims in 5 years surcharge doubling my home owners premiums!

My agent did nothing for me! Donan Engineering is a bunch of dumasses! And we're basically screwed because our insurance agent never advised us that we should carry our homes with different insurance carriers to avoid such a surcharge!

Really?

May 15, 2013 Greensboro, North Carolina

You got mad about them saying nothing was wrong with your roof? Ice dams simply is a situation where the melting snow/ice cant get off your roof. Shingles are not water proof. When that water pools up it has nowhere to go but into your house. You my friend are one of the reasons there is so much misinformation out there. Educate yourself, you can have an ice dam with ZERO damage to the roof.

Smith

May 15, 2012

I was told by Farm Bureau that were not paying my claim, because of an inspection said I had zero damage. Yet I hired an independent inspector that had nothing to gain, and said he cannot believe I was told I had zero damage. I have damaged gutters, damaged rails, minor damage to my metal roof, yet the only comment my agent said was if my roof was replaced I would have to pay the $2500 deductible, of course I would I going to spend that much replacing / repairing my handrails and gutters. If life has been taken out of my roof, it is no different that damage to my vehicle, I paid to have it covered, and if some act of God or individual damages my property a customer should and have the right to have it corrected regardless. That is the risk an insurance company makes when that collect your premiums

Billy Dockins

Apr 21, 2012

Some of you people are very uneducated when it comes to claiming you have or do not have hail damage. If a roofer comes to your house, inspects your roof and says you have hail damage, you MUST consider this: THEY ARE THERE TO MAKE A SALE!!! They could care less if your roof has legitimate storm damage. These unethical roofers are the reason your premiums are high and you have to deal with aggravated adjusters. Just because a hail storm went through your neighborhood, it does not mean you have damage. My brother works hard as structural engineer at being fair and honest. So, stop slamming insurance companies and engineering companies. You are only angry because your claim did not get paid. You would be praising them it was paid.....and probably would not have posted those praises on this site. Lesson 1: Quit letting salesman get on your roof. It will have "damage" every time.

Billy

agent x

Nov 14, 2011 Placerville, California

I'm a former Erie agent. Although Erie treats their independent agent's like captive agents, pay as earned with lower commission and tend to continue and extend coverage WITHOUT ever receiving payment which is bad for an agent who works for 10-15%, they treat their insured' s likely royalty. Heck. I have witnessed them pay undeserved claims! Roofs are a wear and tear item. JUST because the roofing and siding pirate's show up and. Want to sell you a "free" roof, doesn't mean you deserve or need one.

Been there, done that

Oct 26, 2011

I am and ex-Erie adjuster.
Let me start by saying that personally speaking, I let the insured pick who they wanted to inspect the roof and have that person/company to meet me there to go over what was wrong with the roof. If needed, I would have the insured's person/company of choice to meet with me and our roof expert to hammer out the details. Now that's the way a claim SHOULD be handled. I can tell you that Erie does not train, they OVERLOAD their adjusters to the hilt. To the point that we had NO LIVES outside of work. We would put in minimum of 60 hrs/week, topping at 80 + hrs/week. Michelle S. was my supervisor at one time and I can tell you she has no sympathy for either the insured or the adjuster. She didn't care that your claim might be denied or paid or whatever. She didn't care that we were working that many hours to keep our heads above water. I have NO SYMPATHY for Erie or the Charlotte branch, they were VASTLY understaffed and did nothing to improve things. They lost several good adjusters that tried to do the right thing but did nothing to improve their customer service by hiring the appropriate amount of staff. Thank goodness I made it out of there.

dan miller

Aug 30, 2011

my roof experience is word for word as dave schnell

Mike

Aug 15, 2011

I think its a little fishy that all these issues are in one area. My story is 180 degrees from the above. Erie has paid 2 claims for me and 4 more for my family and we have had fantastic customer service and claims service. So much so that I made a life change and opened an Erie Agency. I have never heard any clients say any of this stuff. We have won the JD Power award 3 years in a row for claims and customer service. So my advice to anyone reading this is do your home work and look at the details of each claim on here and then make up your mind. Erie is customer focused and there is a reason that a claim doesnt get paid and most of the time its because of fraud.

Sick of that NASTY ERIE INSURA

Apr 07, 2011

I will contact the law firm and call the numbers in the above bogs to add my name to the class action law suit. We all need to have Erie exposed for their unlawful practices. This behavior of Erie and their HAAG roofing engineers has to STOP. They have the worst insurance company around when it comes to paying claims. They will lie and their roofing engineers and HAAGs will lie as well. Erie and that AAA technology all need to be put out of business and these Erie HAAGs need to be suied and exposed as well. NO ON GIVE UP lets fight this company to stop these unlawful practices of denying claims.

Jackie from North Carolina

Apr 07, 2011

I have storm damage and Erie Insurance are not paying for the roof repairs. I have had four different companies tell me I have damage. AAA technology was sent by Erie and claim that the damage was stress and mechanical markings not storm damage. AAA technology is the worst. The adjuster refuses to admit there is damage. I had a roofing engineer look at the roof that proved damage and had pictures that was better then Erie. I found that AAA will take pictures of things other then the damage and take pictures far away so the pictures are not clear. I plan to file a complaint with the Attorney General office and the Insurance commissioner. I plan to also contact Action 9 to blast Erie and AAA on television. Everyone needs to file complaints with as many agencies as possible to have Erie Insurance investigated for their unfair business practices. I also plan to file a law suit against them. A class Action suit would be nice. This company needs to be shut down and out of business. Their adjusters are nasty and tell lies in the paper work. AAA technology also lied on paper work when sending the report. DO NOT USE ERIE INSURANCE and if you have them, DROP THEM FAST. Erie Insurance is the worst company in America. Erie has nasty adjusters, nasty customer service, use scare tactics with customers, lie on documents, lie about things they are said over the phone or during an inspection and they hire these roofing engineers that will lie for them and this is why they... Show more

1-20 of 32 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Erie Insurance.
Filing a new complaint about
×